3 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 c uncooked extra-long grain brown rice
2 1/2 c broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 1/2 c of low-sodium chicken broth
2 c shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet or pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
3. Brown the chicken pieces. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
4. Push chicken to one side of the pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the other side.
5. Sauté uncooked rice in the olive oil for 2 minutes.
6. Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
7. Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for 12 minutes.
8. Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
9. Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
10. Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
11. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid. Let sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Serve and enjoy.