2 Tbsps. olive oil
3 ½ cups chopped white onion
1 tsp. sugar
2 oz. gruyere cheese, shredded (plus more for sprinkling on top)
2 Tbsps. chopped fresh chives, divided
1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
1/3 cup light sour cream
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Coat skillet with olive oil and add the onions. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes, sprinkle onions with sugar, and resume cooking on low for another 45 minutes or until caramelized.
3. In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, bacon, chives, salt, and pepper. Stir in shredded gruyere and caramelized onions.
4. Place mixture in a 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle 2 Tbsps. gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
5. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve warm with crostini or crackers.